Wednesday, January 17, 2018

52 Ancestors #3: Which Grandparents Lived to Meet Their Grandchildren?

For week 3 of Amy Johnson Crow's latest #52Ancestors challenge, titled "Longevity," I'm looking at which grandparents outlived the other, and who in each couple got to meet their grandchildren.

At right, my maternal grandparents in 1911, the year they married: Hermina Farkas (1886-1964) and Theodore Schwartz (1887-1965). Although Grandma Minnie and Grandpa Teddy both died at the age of 77, Grandpa Teddy had longevity on his side: He passed away just a few days short of his 78th birthday. Minnie and Teddy got to meet all five of their grandchildren.


At left, my paternal grandparents in 1937, at the wedding of their younger daughter. They were Henrietta Mahler (1881-1954) and Isaac Burk (1882-1943). Grandma Yetta died at 72, while Grandpa Isaac died at 61 (well before my time). Isaac never met any of his five grandchildren; the first grandchild was born the year after his death, and named in his honor. Yetta knew all but one of their grandchildren, missing the youngest (named in her honor) by only a year.

At right, my husband's maternal grandparents:
Brice Larimer McClure (1878-1970) and Floyda Mabel Steiner (1878-1948). Granddaddy Brice died just shy of his 92nd birthday, while Grandma Floyda died at 70. Brice's longevity meant that he got to meet all three of his grandchildren but not all of his great-grandchildren.
At left, my husband's paternal grandparents: James Edgar Wood (1871-1939) and Mary Slatter (1869-1925). Sadly, Grandma Mary was only 55 when she passed away, and none of her children had yet married. Grandpa James died at 67, having met two of his three grandchildren--who were then tiny tykes.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic. I had grandmothers but no grandfathers myself. I thought it would have been fun to have a Grandpa. It is only with my research that I have gotten to know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! My grandparents lived across the hall from each other which provided some interesting interactions for us as children. As a relatively new grandparent (almost 4 years) I hope my grandchildren will have as many fond memories of me as I do of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen and Deborah, many thanks for reading and commenting. The only way I got to know my paternal grandpa was through research, but I sure do wish I could have met him in person. Sigh. And I agree, I truly hope my sweet grandchildren will remember me and their Granddaddy fondly and tell stories about doing things with us, decades in the future when they look back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew all my grandparents and one great-grandparent. My daughters knew all their grandparents. Three great-grandparents were alive when the older one was a baby but she remembers only one. My own grandchildren will know all their grandparents but none of their great grandparents. I know that I wil not live long enough to be a great-grandmother. Boo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, I did meet one great-grandma but have only a vague recollection of her as a frail, elderly lady in bed. She was, in fact, in her late 90s when she died, so my memory can't be far wrong. Sadly, I suspect I'll never meet a great-grandchild either. But thanks to family history and our preservation efforts, your great-great-great descendants and mine will know who we are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Wendy,
    What a great way to think of a post on longevity. I was lucky enough to meet my three grandparents and a step grandfather. I might copy your idea and look back to each generation to see if they met their grandchildren. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete